Friday, September 13, 2013

Life in the eyes of an eraser


My life begins in a factory, i am made and manufactured then shipped off to some random store to be sold to random people that i do not know. i am separated from my mother and my father, all my sisters and brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins and if  i'm lucky i am shipped off with someone that i know just a little bit. i arrive at a store known as staples which i have never even heard of before, to me it sounds horrible and from what I've heard it its pretty horrible. they make it seem nice though, i get all wrapped up in this nice wrapping and then i get put into a package which i must admit does make me feel secure but it is not at all comfortable. After that i get put on this dusty old shelf all the way in the back where i sit through the hot summer months of June July and august just waiting for September to come, that's when all the kids come in for their school supply's and they get to pick which one of us they want, well that's what the other erasers told me. Finally after months of sitting and waiting in this hot wrapping and in this uncomfortable hot box September finally comes and i see people coming in and out buying school supply's for their kids and picking out erasers and as they choose the erasers that are in front of me i slowly start to make my way to the front of the shelf. By this time my box is rather dusty and everyone seems to be passing me by because who would want an old dusty eraser anyways right? When i think that all hope is gone and i think that ill just be thrown in the reject pile a little boy comes along looking for an eraser, and since there's only me and another guy on the shelf he carefully examines each one of us and to my surprise he picks me. Surprisingly i was upset that he picked me because i always thought that my owner would be someone cool, maybe a football player, a basketball player, some type of athlete or maybe someone who doesn't do a lot of homework so at least i know that my life will be long-lived, but this particular boy wasn't any of those things, he was an odd boy around the age of 11 or maybe 12 so i knew that he must have been just starting the 6th grade. he had glasses and suspenders on and his hair was slicked back in an unflattering way, basically he looked like one of those kids that was going to use me a lot seeing as how he does his homework a lot and seems to me as to be some kind of a geek, so i know in my heart of hearts that my life will be short lived but at least i can remember the wonderful time that i had sitting on that hot shelf and just waiting to be chosen...oh wait that sucked too so i guess i don't really have anything to look forward to considering my life will be over and i will be dead in maybe the next month..2 months if i'm lucky. We arrive at the kids house who's name i find out is Colby. He immediately unwraps me and throws me into a dark pencil case which smells brand new so that's a plus. he throws the pencil case in his backpack and where off to this place that Colby calls school. I get pulled out of his pencil case and lay on his desk while hes writing out everything and i'm just waiting for him to pick me up and slowly erase my existence, mistake by mistake....i wont go on anymore because we all know how the story ends and i want you all to remember me as who i am and not who i was. don't ever feel bad for me because it isn't your fault that i was born into this cruel cruel life, but i have accepted my fate and in turn you shall too.

Best wishes- Edward the eraser

2 comments:

  1. i love your interpretation on the life of an eraser, its amazing. i love how you go above and beyond about where its born and how it dies (or how it will die). you did a really good job and i loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete